Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Teaching Children, Part 6: Creative income sources

Part six in our series on teaching children about money...

One thing I'm grateful my parents taught me is to come up with creative sources of income. Some of the ways my siblings and earned money were rather normal (paper routes, babysitting), and some were less conventional, such as selling bottled water at the Fourth of July parade and trapping rodents. And I'm sure there are some ways we earned money that I've completely forgotten.

It takes creativity and simply making opportunities to earn money, but here are some starter ideas, many of which aren't limited to kids:

Seasonal outdoor work: cutting grass, raking leaves, shoveling snow, etc.
Selling baked goods (Here's a neat story about a new wife who sold chocolate chip cookies)
Babysitting
House cleaning
Pulling weeds (My grandmother even paid me to do this when we were on vacation at her house! :-) )
Being a mother's helper
Pet sitting
Running errands
Selling greeting cards through programs such as Olympia Sales

Were there any unusual ways that you earned money as a kid? How do you plan to encourage your own children in financial creativity?

2 comments:

Katie Gregg said...

I always earned a little money by selling crafts--friendship bracelets, magnets made from polymer clay, worry dolls, and hand-stamped stationery. It wasn't hugely profitable, but I enjoyed it!

Liz in the Mist said...

Yes, they are not closing as much as relocating here in Wichita.