Monday, February 11, 2008

Make-it-Yourself Monday: Salad dressing

Another installment in our Make-it-Yourself Monday feature...

I love to make my own salad dressing, though it's honestly more taste-motivated than savings-motivated. I enjoy the variety and flexibility afforded me when I mix it up myself and the option of choosing high-quality ingredients.

Here's my favorite homemade dressing recipe--feel free to add or subtract ingredients to your liking. I rarely make it the same way twice, and that's part of what I love about making it myself.

Sweet & Sour Garlic Dressing

1 C. olive oil (or other oil of your choice)
2/3 C. vinegar
1/2 C. honey
Minced garlic
Seasoned salt to taste

Combine all in jar and shake to mix. Store in refrigerator. (Olive oil will solidify during refrigeration--you can let it sit out for a few hours or pop it into the microwave for a few seconds to soften it.)

My mom came up with this one...

Raspberry Vinaigrette

1/4 C. canola oil
2 T. vinegar
2 T. raspberry juice concentrate (from the frozen juice section of the store)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 t. salt
pepper to taste

Combine in jar and shake to mix. Store in refrigerator.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's what I use to make a ranch dip that tastes like Hidden Valley Ranch.

16 oz sour cream
1 tsp. parsley flakes
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. Accent
1.8 tsp pepper

Mix and refrigerate. I've also heard you can use 1 cup mayo & 1 cup buttermilk in place of the sour cream for a salad dressing.

Anonymous said...

i usually trade plain yogurt for sour cream, in a dressing, to make a low fat, but no less tasy version.

Kara S. said...

Yum!!! Both recipes sound delicious! Can't wait to try them. :)