Monday, February 18, 2008

Make it Yourself Monday: Baby wipes

Here's another installment in our Make-it-Yourself Monday feature. This week's post is a by Darla, explaining how to make baby wipes. Thanks, Darla!

Baby Wipes

Bounty Paper Towels*
1 T. baby wash
1 t. baby oil
1 C. warm water

These wipes smell great and are so durable!

The original "recipe" said to cut the roll in half (which was not easy), remove the cardboard center, place in a container, and pour the water and soap mixture over the paper towels. I found that I couldn't find a container to fit them, and it was hard to find the "start" to tear one off each time... I personally prefer the "reach in" kind of wipes, so this was my solution.

Step One: Put a movie or some relaxing music on while the kids are napping (it takes about 20 minutes).
Step Two: Tear off each sheet in the roll, making a big flat pile.

Step Three: Cut the stack in half, so you have two rectangular strips.


Step Four: Tri-fold each sheet, folding so it's easy to snag the wipe with your finger (seam towards the middle, not on the very edge), also make note of how wide your wipes container is so they fit in perfectly.


Step Five: A double roll of Bounty will make me about four containers full of wipes (lasts over a month... almost two). I take the folded stacks and put them in a large ziploc bag (gallon size or larger), then just fill up my wipes container and pour the soap and water mixture over when needed.


Cost: I bought a bag of eight double rolls in May, and I still have two left! The baby wash, oil, and water cost pennies as so little is used and we already have this stuff on hand for bath time! My husband asked me if it was worth it... I told him I was saving about $15 a month, plus I look forward to my movie each time it's time to make more. Just a little "mommy unwind" time!

*I have never used a knock off brand. Bounty are extremely durable and do a great job. I have a feeling a cheaper brand would tear or not soak up the water properly.
Edit from Darla: Last week there was a sale on Bounty, and I actually picked up the select a size kind...you can then just tear off the half size, I suppose it will be a little easier. :-)

3 comments:

Darla said...

Last week there was a sale on Bounty, and I actually picked up the select a size kind...you can then just tear off the half size, I suppose it will be a little easier:-)

CC said...

So here's my ironic twist on this idea... We did buy baby wipes when my kids were little. After they no longer were in diapers, we continued to use (and re-use and re-use) them as cloths. We now no longer buy paper towels or napkins b/c we just use and wash our baby wipes!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! I've made my own and have linked back to you. What a great and easy way to save money! Thanks for posting.