Friday, May 16, 2008

Creative gas-saving tips

With gas prices steadily rising, it's a good time to re-evaluate driving habits--both how much you drive and how you drive. I read a blog post this morning that got me thinking... I don't plan to implement the Pulse and Glide technique in its entirety, but the concept does intrigue me.

Here are some other fuel-efficiency tips the article mentioned:

  • Driving slower
  • Coasting to stoplights, stop signs and parking spots
  • Accelerating slowly from stops
  • Keeping windows and sunroof closed
  • Parking in pull-through spots
  • Clearing out my trunk
To read the original post in its entirety, click here. How are you dealing with the increase in gas prices?

Edit: Please do consider safety concerns before implementing something like the Pulse and Glide technique! As I said, the concept intrigues me, but turning off your engine while on the highway sounds more like a hazard than money-saving brilliance. :-)

5 comments:

Helen said...

I try and ease off the gas before a stop, but it depends on if people are behind you are not...we'll all start making each other mad...and we're already all losing patience with gas ;)

I've heard from reliable sources that running the air vs. opening windows cuts your gas efficiency the same...so choose one, neither is worse, because we can't ride around with the windows up and no air on ;)

Helen said...

Forgot to say in my last comment...it is not recommended to shut off the engine as it could affect your steering and braking!

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

I just blogged this morning that I hadn't really heard anything about how gas price were affecting everyone! LOL

http://twolittlevikings.blogspot.com/2008/05/strangest-conversation.html

Marin said...

My Tipster Tuesday for next week is on saving money on gas! I've added a link to your post. Great tips :)

Marcy said...

I posted yesterday about what my husband has been doing to improve his gas mileage. Here is a link to the post if you are interested. If he keeps it up we could save $20-40/mo.

http://stretchingabuck.blogspot.com/2008/05/improving-our-gas-mileage.html