Monday, April 21, 2008

Make-it-Yourself Monday: Granola

I love granola and find the homemade stuff hard to beat. Here's my family's current version (which happens to my favorite one ever :-) )...

Homemade Granola

6 C. oats
2 C. oat flour (just grind oats in the blender)
1/2 C. oil, warmed in microwave
1 C. nuts (pecans are our favorite)
1 C. sweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 t. salt
1 T. vanilla
1/2 C. honey

Toast oats in oven for 10 minutes at 300. Add flour and stir. Add warmed oil and mix thoroughly. Add nuts, coconut, salt, and vanilla and stir to combine. Add honey last and mix well. Bake for one hour at 300, stirring 20 minutes into the baking time and again 40 minutes into the baking time. When baking time is over, don't stir granola, but turn oven off and leave it until granola cools (this makes for nice chunky granola). Remove from oven and store in airtight containers.

For other Make-it-Yourself Monday features, click here.

4 comments:

Andrea @ Mommy Snacks.net said...

Hey Bethany - I've tagged you for a memes that just hit me. Share "7 random and weird things about myself."

Lisa said...

Oh Oh another tag for you!

I have a small game of tag as well,,, It is a short game! Hope you will join it....

Anonymous said...

Do you eat this as cereal or as is?? I tried the recipe - it makes a lot - I'm just wondering how to eat it all! I think I would like it a bit more clumpy - would you add more oil or honey? Any idea?

Unknown said...

Pam,

Either way--it's great for breakfast with yogurt or dry as a snack.

If you wanted it more clumpy, I would add a bit more honey (maybe even a little bit of water), and make sure you let it sit in the oven until completely cooled. Good luck! :-)